What is the PIF TICK?
Having the PIF TICK shows an organisation’s health information has been through a professional and robust production process. To be awarded the PIF TICK an organisation must show its health information production process meets 10 criteria:
- Systems: Information is created using a consistent and documented process.
- Training: Staff receive ongoing training and support.
- Need: Resources meet a genuine need.
- Evidence: Information is based on reliable, up-to-date evidence which is communicated clearly.
- Involving users: Users are involved in the development of information.
- Health inequalities: Information is written to meet health and digital literacy, language and accessibility needs of the target audience.
- Content and design: Information is clearly communicated, easy to access and navigate.
- Feedback: There is a clear process for users to provide feedback.
- Disseminating: Information is promoted to maximise reach.
- Impact: The impact of information is measured.
How do you get the PIF TICK?
NHS organisations, health charities and companies producing health information can apply for the PIF TICK.
Accreditation is awarded after a thorough application and assessment process. Each of the 10 criteria has a number of requirements. Organisations must meet the acceptable standard in each of the core criteria to be awarded the PIF TICK.
The PIF TICK criteria were developed in consultation with the Patient Information Forum’s 1,000-strong membership representing 300 cross-sector organisations.
Consumer research found 80% of the public would look for a quality mark on health information. Evidence, plain English and trained staff were the top three criteria for quality health information identified by the public.
The PIF TICK public website provides advice on finding trusted health information and signposts accredited members.
What are the benefits?
- 100% of members say the PIF TICK helps them maintain or improve internal processes and procedures
- 90% have made changes to their internal processes as a result of the assessment
- 100% would recommend the PIF TICK to other organisations
- 100% describe the assessment as informative
- 90% describe the assessment as both robust and supportive