|Job title:||Medical editor and proofreader/Lay language consultant / medical language trainer|
Effective communication is successful communication and I am a passionate advocate of effective communication in the field of medicine and healthcare, both written and spoken. Medical English has been my focus for 15 years, as an editor, trainer and language consultant.
I work as an editor and proofreader, editing text for clarity, accuracy and style. I am a skilled communicator and writer with a particular sensitivity for language: I have many years experience as an English language and communications trainer, the last 15 spent exclusively working with medical professionals. I am also a language consultant with experience advising on lay summaries of clinical trials.
Skills and experience
- PhD in Applied Linguistics, and a thesis that examined medical language and written patient information
- Advanced knowledge of readability, health literacy, risk reporting, inclusive language and plain language
- Solid research skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent understanding of general medicine
- Experienced medical research editor ( esp. Neurosurgery; Vascular surgery; Orthopaedic surgery)
- Published freelance writer (Travel and Lifestyle)
- Knowledge of other languages (Italian; French)
- Member of the European Medical Writers Association